Saturday 30 January 2016

All Writers Have Got Their Own Story; this is Mine

Like every other writer, I too have my story. Permit me to romance the name of my high school but that is where it all actually started. It happened that my school will be hosting another school in an interschool essay competition (I never knew about this until a few hours to when the competition will be taking place in proper – and about the same time was I informed that I’ll be one of the three contestants representing my school). There’s actually a story as to how this is but I’ll spare you for now. The essay competition was held and the visiting school won.
Everything didn’t end at that point when the visiting school was announced winners neither did everything begin right there. Everything began a day before when all we students were summoned to the school assembly on a hot Tuesday. We were dismissed with a strong message that everybody must come to school the day following with his/her written essay of which a topic was assigned (I can’t remember).
The message was clear, only the impression, though. I presumed submission of the essay will be to my class teacher; ‘everybody will do it’ was what I hummed to myself. I wouldn’t want to be the scapegoat. You may tease me to say that I was only being afraid of being beating; well, it is only your opinion.
Before Mr. Uche sighted me, it’s being three contestants already. In fact, He was supervising the preparatory presentations of the chosen contestants. His eyes caught me and He queried why I haven’t submitted my essay (funny. like I was told to). So I reached for my bag almost immediately and handed him my essay. He went through it and eventually someone was dropped for me. A lady.
After the experience of that day, though I felt bad that we didn’t win, a failure I want to bear alone as my presentation was laced with stuttering, which according to my presupposition must have contributed to our being submerged, I just find myself seeking for words that will get me out of that dejected state faster. Some words started crushing my mind. At first, I took them to be the relief that I had craved, but more of those alphabets would never cease flowing ever after, so I decided to think things beyond the therapy I am getting from those words (because they seem to be my drive then). 
I begin to pen down whatever as incoherently and amateurish as they were. I increased voraciously in reading books. I soon find myself writing essays with few certificates to my name even if that would be all I have got so far. I still haven’t quit. And I read and engage in extensive researches on subjects of interest whenever and wherever I am opportune.
Soon I find myself in the web space freelancing -- writing articles, web contents, blog posts and the likes, placing bids here and there, getting picked by clients, and executing jobs of varying prospects.
And now am blogging on blogger. Before now I had blogged at WordPress. Even as I string together nothing less than 300 alphabets daily. Sincerely, I don’t know what it is I’ll do tomorrow but I’ll keep writing until then.
But before I end this, need I let someone know that I am no better than any other writer out there. All that is up there is just my humble start. And when I wrote humbly, I mean it sincerely. My early education was in that part of Nigeria where education is an option. My parents moved to another part of Nigeria where education was taken a bit more seriously and that is when I know I am in for it. I scarcely open my mouth as what will ooze from it is never disappointing. And the effect is traceable all through my secondary education. More so, if you’ll take your time to read this story keenly and patiently, then will you discover a lot of grammatical inaccuracies and inconsistencies even with the proofreading and all. This should suggest to you that even someone lower I can actually take up writing – if she/he is actually passionate about it because according to my own observation, it’s the only thing that’ll keep you writing consistently for longer.
It’s my desire that I’ll as often as necessary bring to my blog readers tips that could help them to be writing consistently but until till then, stay around. 


No comments:

Post a Comment