Sunday 31 January 2016

Here is The CHEAPEST of all Things That You can Start with as a Writer

In the beautiful world of writing, you got either of these ‘fuls’ defining you: a “wishful writer” or a “successful writer”. But for whatever reason, let’s assume successful writers never existed. Or does anyone have fine scissors, so we could just neatly cut out that which is being known as a successful writer? And now to the wishful writer our last “man” standing (apology to our lady writers; I only meant human being in that context so all hands should be off my jugular. Lol).

 Excuses from starter writers are what I can relate to because I’ve once been caught in that web. These excuses vary but shares similarities. Most prominent amongst all is that “I got nothing to start writing”: no skills, no talent, no training; I’m studying management and accounting and not English; I haven’t attended any writing workshop or conferences; my grammar sucks blah, blah, blah.
Ha ha, up there I just described myself as I believe this should send a cold chill down your spine. I never deny my very dramatic start at writing and will never do so – and maybe it’s what has made my writing career last this long (you may want to adopt same for your writing career as well, but then it’s exclusively your choice).
 But as many excuses I have is in equal sum and cost of what I needed to start writing hence this succeeded in keeping me away for as long as I wouldn’t want to remember. The laptop then was only for those who could afford it. And just when I think about typing my submission in my email only to be retrieved on a friend’s PC at a cybercafé will I be reminded that the little Nokia phone I had wouldn’t just connect to the internet. Even so that an hour data time at a café – which may not even be enough should you’re too slow – is #200. Cheap you say? But I had to spend this little for as much an essay I wanted to submit. And I was just a fresh undergraduate who had to borrow some senses from economics as my upkeep money started to suffer. Bottom line: Cost submitting essays, which I willingly chose to be my own start in writing, was somewhat expensive. And just when I decided to think to freelance, even more expensive as I had to become friendly with a very fast internet data.
None other there is to discourage a fresh writer. But as expensive as all were at the time, I managed to survive. You then ask, how, young man? Well, soon enough I got the cheapest of the very important things I needed to start writing. I got them dirt cheap. I surmise it had even been free should I was discerning and observant to know that I got them already and that they’ve been with me for as long as I would have wanted them active.
Actually, it is my brain and my mind. I just know I got an idea somewhere in my head. I just know I wanted to share something that rushed my mind a little while ago. I just know that my guts which I got in mine wherever, which you chose to call mind -- is telling me I can write too. I also think it is the very reason behind my grit, tenacity, and dexterity for making those painless sacrifices towards my starting out as a writer. I just know it keeps coming and that it is not demanding of me a dime. What more is cheaper?
I professed, believed, and concluded in my mind, that with these cheap commodities I can start writing and I started; and that with it I’ll be successful and I was. Ever since nothing has been cheaper. Or if not how was I able to afford the laptop I couldn’t afford then still as an undergraduate? How am I able to start freelancing seeing the monthly subscription used to scare the pants off me? Honestly, nothing particularly changed in my finances. In fact, I became a PC owner outside my money. This is to tell you that only what I needed to start is to start with the cheapest. And every wishful writer has got the cheapest, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment