Thursday 14 April 2016

6 Ideas and Motivation Sources for Writers

While some writers would claim they have never lacked for ideas to write and that they can write on virtually any subject at any given time, on the contrary, there is another group of writers who are stuck in the writer's block. So many times they are just helpless and seem not to be able to wrap their head around ideas that can, in turn, be used to craft beautiful pieces. For this category of people, I will urge them to take the pain to read this article to its last word. I promise to be as brief as I possibly could.

 #1 Online and Offline discussion
It has really worked for me and in fact, my most recent poem was inspired by a discussion I had in the community of my friends. Over time, I had cultivated the habit of asking questions should need. And I do this often and in both online and offline discussions. This attitude has rewarded me severally in that it afforded me the privilege to get clarity about the gray areas surrounding certain subjects.
And often times, majorly while I am observing my siesta, those discussions will be all over me again, thus provoking this burning desire to pen down some alphabets. So strings of alphabets will become words. Strings of words will become sentences. And sentences will add up to form helpful contents just like the one you're reading at the moment.
#2 A New Day
Not minding the successes or otherwise that I recorded the day prior, I wake up to each new day feeling refreshed, excited and full of expectations. Just this mood alone has a way of preparing my mind to keep details of the day’s activities. And the implication of this is that I will be on alert to hints and the promptings of when to write or when need be that I just take notice of any particular event that might be contributing to my next post.
#3 People Around You
Let me state it emphatically that a writer needs an open mind. s/he needs to be forward-looking. The world is getting crazy daily which is to imply that there are more crazy things and people to expect. Like I often emphasize, it is not healthy for a writer to be a critic; s/he is better a participant or an observer than a critic. When a writer can look beyond the man wearing dread or the woman bearing her cleavage being the one about to mount the podium, then and only then can he engage his mind in response to what the fellow is saying or has said. More apt to put it: ignore the messenger, consider the message.
#4 The Places You Go
Perhaps you're on a sponsored trip to the Bahamas. Of course, it is a different place from where you're coming from. Now a lot of people will sum up those moments they enjoyed in the Bahamas to be their Bahamas experiences. Not bad. But a practicing writer can Author a more than 500-page book based on that experience alone. And sure it wouldn't be a book to oppress those who have never been to the Bahamas. Am I even making any sense at all?
#5 Yourself
The motivation and inspiration to write can best come from you. You know you need the most stable frame of mind to function as a writer. If you're like me then I would suggest music. Oh yes, music. Music is my one big source of ideas. Whenever I am clueless as to what to write, I just plug my earpiece and listen to some good old Jamz. And notice that I wrote "when am clueless about what to write" and not when "I don't feel like writing". If I don't feel like writing then there is no justification for writing. I am a strong believer in ideas that evolve naturally.
#6 Good/ Helpful Books
Books cover in on inspiration and insights. It is just quite unfortunate that the reading generation is fast going into extinction. But it would not deplete the fact that writers can always get clues from good and helpful books. I stand to be corrected, much of the development as are available today are some sort of innovation rather than invention. I will say get your hands on a book today, what you can gain therein isn't mine to tell.
Please always convey your thoughts about each post through the comment box.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment