Thursday 14 April 2016

Five Mathematical Equations of Your Online Writing Career and Their Answers

As 2016 writers, if we must embrace reality, a lot has changed. Trust me -- those writers who launched their writing career some eight years ago, who were almost immediately successful, may find it difficult replicating the same feat should they have to start all over again in 2016. This is the Gospel truth. You may want to put up some arguments but I think it is just unnecessary.

So in the morning of today what has changed in respect to writers and their writing career?
Seeing the role the internet is playing in the success of 21st-century writing: writers are publishing their books on Amazon Kindle and other similar publishing platforms. Bloggers are blogging for fun, and, of course for the money. Freelance writers  are earning commensurable.  And the list is endless. Now that is the beauty of technology. Then it is not uncommon to see many writers leveraging on this. The internet now seems congested (or sort of). And Bam! the reality that boomerangs to our faces, hence the need for this post. 
Of a truth, you might have been told or shown the many free dollars you will find on the internet (perhaps you read it in one of those impracticable e-Books, or you even got a real life prove with screenshots, bank alerts or whatever). Another truth you were told is that just any writer excels in the web space. But yet another truth is that it's all lies. So before you quickly and officially launch your writing career on the internet, or before you quit it claiming it pays no one, I got these mathematical equations for you.
#1 No/ weak social proof = No/ poor earnings
No, and I don't mean Instagram, Twitter or Facebook at least not now. Have you been featured on Huffington, Forbes or by some reputable Magazines?
Blog or website is another of some sort of social proof. And hey, a professional-looking website or blog, preferably one with a .com extension. (and you think I have shot myself in the leg seeing my blog is still the .Blogspot? Anyway, am seeing to that soonest).
Verily, verily you're reading correctly, the above are nifty social proofs and you will be needing them at one time or the other in your writing career, and will to a large extent determine the longevity and success of your writing career on the web.
As a less expensive way of establishing a media presence, I will like to suggest participating in essays, short stories, and poem contests. Also, guest posting, especially when done on an authority site could be another way to buy yourself some social credibility and reputation.
#2 Your dedication + patient = More earnings 
 Writing deserves all the effort, hard work, and attention that it should get. Satisfying your readers (and in the freelancing business, your client) should be your number one priority. More so, quality pieces that are devoid and guiltless of plagiarism.
#3 Your audiences < Your earnings 
Observed in point 1 above I wrote "at least for now" while referring to social proof. But here and now it is audience been referred in the context of social media and not social proof, you code? Your Twitter, Facebook, Facebook page(s), Whatsapp group(s), StumbleUpon, and Instagram account will be an advantage. Be it that you published your first e-Book or that you're a blogger, you’ll need those friends, those site visitors, and/or readers. It happens that most of the successful writers that I know, who used to be writers but now authors, are people who were actually spurred by their site readers/friends who read their pieces and saw a potential in them.
It then suffices to put it that whether you got a writers blog you want to or that you're earning from by the way of Adsense, Affiliate Marketing, or just social proof that can fetch you paying clients, then a steady and consistent audience must become your indispensable companion.
#4 Your skills/knowledge = high or poor earnings  
Take, for instance, you probably could have heard or seen a freelance writer earn up to $1000/month (I can tell you it is very possible). But not with writing articles or blog posts. In my short career in freelance writing, I have come to discover that you will earn big from freelance writing when you are armed with the right information, knowledge, and skills. Clients on the majority of these freelancing websites are willing to pay writers who are excellently skilled in a particular. 
Your language skills, grammatical skills, research skills are a few of the many skills that can be improved upon.
#5 No good character  =  weak or poor earnings
Of the characters that I will put forth patience top. Freelance writers will agree with me that their patience starts from the many proposals they will have to submit without hopes of being interviewed much less being awarded the project. Many aren't patient and they have withdrawn with as many reasons they would give why freelancing isn't their thing.
And the writer bloggers will agree with me that audience builds with time and during those times you need patience. At a time when the web is inundated with crap, it will only take dedicated audiences some time to believe you got something different.
And me, I have married courtesy because I want to last in this writing business. Be it a proposal that I am sending or a reply to my clients’ messages, I have adopted it a culture to begin my messages, especially when am responding or delivering late with “sorry”, and always ending my messages with a “thank you”. Always reply your readers and their comments politely and not proudly or arrogantly.
I have also made it a habit of coming out plain to my client should their project be too technical for me or for other reasons I may have as to why I wouldn't be able to work on their project. I tell them just about when I can finish their task and I try to deliver as promised.
In my very short freelancing career, I have encountered some really annoying clients. But instead of replying them in like manner I will just ignore. And afterward, if such fellow deems some civil chat then I will initiate one. But if not, then such as it is my decision to ignore assume eternity.
Leave a comment. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment