Thursday 18 February 2016

How to run a Starting Writing Career on a Low Budget

As with a writer from a developing country, I can relate to some issues that starting writers usually grapple with (at least for a start) and of which How to run a Starting Writing Career is one. But let it be known to someone that I am proving no point here neither am insinuating a thing -- just what some honest individuals from this part of the world will attest to.

Internet data down here has to be an issue. It is either you buy them at a not too friendly Naira only to discover that a page will take about 20 minutes to load, or the fast or supposedly fast ones are just in sharp contrast to your current financial situation of how much you can spare for data. And you know this is a bad business for a writer: as in the freelance world, when a freelance writer is trying to submit his proposal on a job site like Upwork, where thousands of other writers are trying to do same (and am reasonably sure some clients are only reading the first five proposals). So how fast should my internet be will then be the question that follows. And my answer: very fast or as fast as it can be.
Electricity also, for those parts of the country that got lucky, will have it for 18 hours/day (oops! Did I just type 18 hours?) Even some parts have not had it for as long as it has lasted. And there is the issue. No electricity for the writer to research, none for him/her to type, still none to submit his/her works. And I mean the toddler writers -- not the men writers, for there is little or no reason to have a discourse about them (the men writers, for they are also the ones we call the established writers or pro writers) because really, there is nothing to discuss about them): they've got their act right in the art. They can now on the least afford "I beta pass my neighbor" (for those who don't know what this is, it is a coded language for the name of the smallest sized generator; and I am sure someone who does not know  "I beta pass my neighbor" certainly has not or has seen one for a very long time so this write-up mightn’t be for them). But anybody can as well identify some issues facing writers in their own country, which I am pretty sure it will be different from my home country, and add to them solutions and I'll be glad to publish it here on my blog as a guest post.
The fact you have chosen writing as a passion or a career shouldn’t automatically equate that it should tear your pocket. And I also feel it shouldn’t be the Goliath that will be impeding or preventing you from taking a shot at writing. Here and now I present to you How to run a starting writing career on a low budget. I do think and hope it helps.
#1 Your phone is a powerful writing tool: Be it a regular phone or an android phone, one that browse or not, you can always make it a nifty tool. Your regular browsing or non-browsing phone can be used to do the little research that it can do, and you can as well engage the message icon and save your work as a draft.
For androids or smartphones users, get to download writing software in the example of Kingsoft (it even use to accompany some phones and it is free), or luckily someone close to you has it on their phone then you just get to transfer it to yours, with his/her permission of course. Afterward, type your work on it and save. You can then transfer to a Microsoft supported PC – of your friend or enemy or a public café – and have it checked by Microsoft. Microsoft is an advanced writing software; it will get to detect those pesky errors that slipped past you while typing on your phone.
Now if your friend got the internet on his device and you have his permission to use it to submit your work, fine. But if not, fine still. Just get to transfer the already edited and proofread file back to your phone using a USB cord. You should now be at a café or at the place of a more generous friend. But only some logic here; it wouldn’t be wise you undergo all those procedures just for one client’s work or essay, maybe 10 essays at a go, so you wouldn’t be inconveniencing your friend and your pocket too will not suffer.
#2 Go places with your Phone alongside your consciousness and carefulness: As a student, I seldom formed the habit of charging in class since I know how much work the phone as done or will still do -- but I am always careful. I got a hair stylist not too far from my hostel so I purposefully and intentionally friend him. He helps me to charge my phone and police it as well for free.
Often times I go to church for the weekly service just to charge my phone (God have mercy. Lol). My charger is always with me and sometimes I get lucky to jam someone who has a power bank.
And then must I make it clear that this alternative to getting one’s phone charged is a BIG risk. But then life itself is a risk anyway so just about what I do is to try minimizing the risk. And it is by putting it in the care of a reasonably reasonable and trusted fellow and registering it in my subconscious mind that I got an unfinished business in that environment where I am charging my phone. I also engage two, three of my friends to remind me should I forget.
And more of some brains here. When I claimed that I charge in all those places I charged them above, remember I didn’t charge in a football viewing center, I wasn’t charging in one lecture room and then receiving a lecture in the other room. More so, I wasn’t charging in a cab – so Gerrit.
#3 You can Start with the cheap forms of writing: Yes some forms of writing are expensive. Talk about freelancing when you’ll have to incur cost before probable gain. Maybe you haven’t heard, but you can’t land a job on most popular freelancing sites without bidding/proposal submission. And for all the proposals you have submitted, maybe just one or two is gonna fix up an interview with you or give you the job. And should you fail to satisfy him with your submission then he wouldn’t pay you. Now you’ve incurred the cost of buying fuel, data, and expelling energy, all for no reward.
For my own start, I worked with an independent client whom I got connected with via a friend and the only cost I incurred was that of submitting the completed work and He paid me of course.
Though myself haven’t won any essay, short story, or poem contests, but I know a couple of people who have. They got rewarded with nothing less of $500. From the so much I know of them, the only monetary cost incurred is the cost of submitting the essays.
Also, there are people who are earning it big from writing for magazines and some well-known websites. Some of these websites aren’t even gonna give you a topic, just submit. And submitting has never cost anyone a fortune.
P.S. Maybe sometimes into tomorrow I may have a post on websites/magazines that pay writers and sites where you can get tons of essays to participate in but until then, keep writing… and consistently.   
Your comment is one big indicator that the post is helpful, consider dropping one. Thanks

9 comments:

  1. Nice writeup i must say and i do recommend this to anyone who want to start a career but with low budget.

    www.africwap.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking out time to read the post. Thanks also for the recommendation.

      Delete
  2. This is very useful for the unemployed youths. nice write up. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you find the post useful. Of course jobless youths roaming the streets can make themselves useful by becoming, take for instance, a freelance writer. Thanks for your comment

      Delete
  3. Interesting stuff you got here.
    Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't hoard knowledge so I had to share it. Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! So a wonderful content you would like to share?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete