Saturday 6 February 2016

Yes writing/writers have got secret and it is...

A female writer on one of Nigeria’s leading online forum shared how much she earns freelancing. Actually, it is nothing less of $1000/month. You’ll not believe that this single post is running into 160 pages with comments. As if this was not enough, she went ahead to again post the car she bought from being a freelancer. However, she was clever to have been explicit about her motives christening it ‘motivation for young writers’. We can only believe her.
The above is just by the way. In those about 160 pages comment thread, one question that you would expect, as in from a person who is ready to work and work hard, and so qualified for his/her pay is ‘how do I withdraw my money?’ of course, we got it there. In fact, it leads the pack. And as constantly as this question keeps surfacing is as constantly there are people to answer and to the satisfaction of the questioner. 
And yet again is the question of what is the secret of writing/writers? This also is as ubiquitous as the first question that had many people offering their widow’s mite. But this time, into the third page thereafter, people have carefully avoided this question. Are you surprised? Like no one to answer just a simple question? Or although the question was indeed tough, still no guru writer, seeing it’s a writers’ community -- who’s tougher than this question? Serious issue.
Finally, answers were pouring in but need I say that they’re very incorrect. Most opined (which in truth could only be their opinion), that there are secrets to writing and gave all sorts of the rules of grammar, some composition tactics, techniques of audience engagements, and some other what is and whatnots. Please, these are essentials of impeccable writings. They are never secrets and will never be.
Or need someone to remind me of the meaning of secret one more time? If we are to call composition tactics, rules of grammar et al. some secrets, how do ourselves get to know about them?  How come all these are spread everywhere from the internet to textbooks?
I do not believe there are secrets to writing or if there’s, it’s being consistent in writing or becoming a consistent writer. You know -- today you write, tomorrow you write, you write again, you write often -- you wouldn’t want to tell me that the speed at which you finish writing/typing a 1000-word piece some 4 months ago is the same you’re using to finish it today. Now, who taught you speed? How do you find yourself finishing in a shorter time? 
You also wouldn’t tell me you don’t know that singular post of yours, amidst several others that you wrote that people responded to the most. Now tell me, wouldn’t common sense do a better job than anything else to see you structure your next write-up in a similar version?  Believe me, if I was to ask someone the secret of typing faster, sure He always has something to say.
For me, it took me sometimes to reconcile with the applicability of ‘its’ and ‘it’s’. I only became worried after my writing editor would flag it repeatedly as it is certain I’ll always misuse it in sentences. So how come I have now mastered its use?
I can go on and on and on, but you seem to have understood my Gospel. But if you don’t, and you’re sure you read the above in its entirety, from up down this point, try reading down up.

No comments:

Post a Comment